Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Pittsburgh Steelers cut QB Mitch Trubisky after two disappointing seasons -Capitatum
TradeEdge-Pittsburgh Steelers cut QB Mitch Trubisky after two disappointing seasons
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:28:24
PITTSBURGH – The TradeEdgePittsburgh Steelers cut quarterback Mitch Trubisky on Monday, sending the former No. 2 overall draft pick into free agency after two disappointing seasons.
Trubisky signed with the Steelers in March 2022 and was given first crack at replacing the retired Ben Roethlisberger. Trubisky started four games before being benched in favor of then-rookie Kenny Pickett. Trubisky struggled again this season while filling in for an injured Pickett, losing starts against New England and Indianapolis before being replaced by third-stringer Mason Rudolph.
Releasing Trubisky creates about $11.5 million in salary cap space over the next two seasons.
Pittsburgh also cut offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor and punter Pressley Harvin III to begin what could be a series of moves to free up money before free agency begins.
With Trubisky gone, Pickett is the Steelers’ only quarterback under contract for next season. Rudolph is set to become a free agent in March, though coach Mike Tomlin said the team is interested in bringing Rudolph – who won three games as a starter to help the Steelers reach the playoffs – back to compete with Pickett during training camp.
SUPER BOWL CENTRAL: Latest Super Bowl 58 news, stats, odds, matchups and more.
Trubisky went 2-5 as a starter with the Steelers, throwing for eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions. While gave Pittsburgh an athletic presence in the pocket, his questionable decision-making and poor mechanics – issues that plagued him earlier in his career in Chicago – forced the Steelers to turn to others.
The 29-year-old Trubisky lasted four seasons with the Bears, who drafted him in 2017, and spent a year as a backup for Buffalo before trying to revive his career with the Steelers.
Okorafor’s departure was all but assured when he was benched in favor of rookie first-round pick Broderick Jones midway through the season after his outburst late in a loss to Jacksonville. Okorafor started 59 games for the Steelers after being taken in the third round of the 2018 draft.
The 26-year-old played well at times and was given a three-year, $29.25 million contract in 2022.
Yet when Pittsburgh selected Jones with the 14th overall pick of the 2023 draft and with left tackle Dan Moore Jr. on a rookie contract, Okorafor’s days were numbered. Okorafor said after Pittsburgh’s season ended with a first-round playoff loss to Buffalo that he wouldn’t have signed the new contract if he thought he wouldn’t be with the team through the end of it.
“If I knew that was going to be the case, I probably wouldn’t have chosen to come back here,” Okorafor said in January. “At this point, there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Harvin, a seventh-round pick in 2021, struggled with consistency during his three years with the Steelers. He averaged 43.7 yards per punt in 47 games with Pittsburgh, but rather than bring him back to play the final year of his four-year deal, the Steelers instead will head into the offseason looking for a new punter.
veryGood! (9385)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Missouri man charged in 1966 killing in suburban Chicago, based on DNA evidence
- Swanky Los Angeles mansion once owned by Muhammad Ali up for auction. See photos
- Matt Brown, who has the second-most knockouts in UFC history, calls it a career
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Yankees star Aaron Judge got ejected for the first time in his career
- Complaints, objections swept aside as 15-year-old girl claims record for 101-pound catfish
- Kansas has a new border security mission and tougher penalties for killing police dogs
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Kentucky Derby: How to watch, the favorites and what to expect in the 150th running of the race
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Kentucky Derby fans pack the track for the 150th Run for the Roses
- Why is Mike Tyson the underdog for fight with Jake Paul? Gambling experts offer explanation
- Lance Bass, Robin Thicke, more went to this massive billionaire wedding. The internet was enraged.
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Walgreens limits Gummy Mango candy sales to one bag per customer
- After Roe, the network of people who help others get abortions see themselves as ‘the underground’
- Bruins or Maple Leafs? Predicting who wins Game 7 and goes to second round
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
With PGA Championship on deck, Brooks Koepka claims fourth career LIV Golf event
After Roe, the network of people who help others get abortions see themselves as ‘the underground’
Australian police shoot dead a boy, 16, armed with a knife after he stabbed a man in Perth
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
It's tick season: What types live in your area and how to keep them under control
Sandra Doorley timeline: Police chief defends officer who stopped DA in viral video case
Padres make move to improve offense, acquiring batting champ Luis Arraez in trade with Marlins